Welcome back to the first real week of rocketry! Some of our subteams had some issues finding times when everyone can meet together, but most of that should be ironed out now. We don’t have too many exciting photos of rocketry, but tonight was the supermoon lunar eclipse, and that’s pretty cool. For those of you who missed it, here’s what it looked like from downtown Minneapolis!
In non-astronomy news: each of the subteams has set a tentative schedule on what they hope to accomplish, and we’re all careening headfirst towards some more flow rate tests with our new control valves on the morning of October 10th. This will let us get a better idea of how our new valves work and how we can use them to finally conduct a full throttle test of our engine! Exciting stuff. Should be even cooler than the ignition tests we did over the summer. We’ll have to get our new power sources ready, the new valves physically integrated into the system, and edit our operating procedures.
Now for a little bit of a fun tidbit from the non-engineering side of our team. One of the things we’re trying out this year is incorporating a design or team building activity at the beginning of each general meeting. We hope to boost the “funness” of our meetings and make these something our members look forward to each week. Last week, we did a spaghetti tower competition which I lacked the foresight to photograph. This week, we did the human pretzel, and below are the pics to prove it!
The concept is simple. A group of people form a circle, grab hands with individuals who are not adjacent, then attempt to untangle themselves without releasing hands.
Seems simple, but gets complicated quite quickly. I’m glad to say both groups of six managed to untangle themselves at least once in that 8 minute time frame. Engineering minds hard at work!
And last but not least, a new feature! From now on, you can expect that each blog post will feature a subteam spotlight for those of you interested in the technical details of what we’re doing. The spotlights are written by the subteams, so it’s a first hand account of what’s going on. Without any further ado, welcome to our first subteam spotlight: Sensor/Ignition/Controls subteam!
This briefly goes over what we have done in the summer and what we are going to work on for next project.
- Test board
- AC power source
This is image of current circuit system for the test-board. It gives you a general idea where to position the test-board and arduino for data collecting. The circuit is the current one for our test board.
The two images (left front , right back) above show the test-board we built for our system.
Currently there are 3 switches on the square flat-wood test-board. Red switch can open and close the whole circuit.One the right side of the board, First switch ( Top one) controls the valve for kerosene. under the top, Second switch controls the valve for O2. The bottom hole is for the third switch which is for the control valve.
When press the Red bottom and hold it, the red LED lights it up and it tells you that there is current running into the circuit. You can open or close the other switches for the valves based on the testing. when you release the red bottom it will shut down the circuit.
Below are an transformer (white, on the left) and a power inverter. The transformer lowers 110VAC to 24VAC. The power inverter (black, on the left) converts DC 12V to 110V AC.
We are planning to build an AC source convertor for our control valve which needs 24 V AC source for our next project. we are going to use one Inverter and one Transformer to convert DC battery source into the AC from one of our 12v lead acid batteries. Then, we will add another switch to our test-board.
-Zicheng Li <09/25/2015>
All in all, a pretty good week.